ABOUT AWARDS – MISSION & OBJECTIVES
The Ghana Film & Television Crew Awards (GFTCA) is an event to recognize excellence by annually honoring achievements of Crew (Directors, D.O.P, Gaffer, Make-up, Special Effects, Production managers, Sound, Editors, technicians and other personalities in the film making industry of Ghana and Africa.
GFTC Award is organized by Film Crew Association of Ghana in partnership with Footprint Entertainment and Epicwave Multimedia with support from major stakeholders of the film industry. It provides opportunities for filmmakers to have spotlight on their films and will also aims to promote and support Ghanaian filmmaking.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES: 31st December, 2020
To compete for a GFTCA:
Fill and complete an official entry form, for enquiring contact 0552711321/ 0243743216
Dates and venue
Ghana Film & Television Crew Awards will take place on 27h March, 2021. The absolute final submission deadline is 5th January, 2021. A nominees release on 10th March, 2021. The category winners will be announced on event day 27th March , 2021.
The Planning committee, GFTC Award Executive Academy members Screening and Active Academy members reserve the right to place entries into alternative categories if they feel it is to the benefit of the title. Each submission should be entered separately. Entries will be assessed and successful submissions will be programmed for screening and entering the awards.
Formats acceptable for selection process: MOV or MPEG 4.
GFTCA Executive Academy members, general CREW members, general public and members will select final award winning entries by voting for the FICAG Actors & Actress, Film Crew, TV show Crew. All nominees will be notified at least 12 days before the awards show.
Organizers reserve the right to use extracts from submission for awards publicity and Marketing
Best Set Designer
Best Script Supervisor
Best Production Manager
Best Location manager
Best Production Assistant
Rules & Eligibility EVENT
The second edition of Ghana Film and Television Crew Awards will differ from others in terms of organization this year. The various differences include the following:
The focus and attention of the people behind all the successful Movies and TV productions (CREW) with An Academy members to oversee the nomination and finally awarding deserving winners.
- English and Local language categories will be merged into one basic category, to conform to international standards. In effect the indigenous movies, actors, directors, editors etc. will be competing in one category with their English language counterparts.
- GFTC Award is open to films which have significant creative involvement by individuals who are Ghanaian (citizens or permanently resident in Ghana for at least four years up to and including the eligibility period)
- To be eligible, films must have Ghanaian individuals credited in the majority of the following areas: Director(s), Producer(s), Writer(s) (if applicable), Majority of other Heads of Department/key creative roles, Majority of key cast
- Films must have been completed between 1 January, 2019 and 20 31st December, 2020. No exceptions will be made. Films may be fiction or non-fiction and must be viewed in the public domain (theatrical, streaming platforms etc)
- Films in a language other than English must be submitted with English subtitles. Where possible, a version of English language films should be uploaded with subtitles for voters with hearing impairments.
- Previously entered films are not eligible.
Films may be entered by Production companies or individuals with a direct association to the film who can give the necessary permissions.
There is no fee to enter for British Short Film and British Short Animation awards
As part of the entry form, the following information must be provided:
- Film title
- Running time
- Film completion date
- Writer, director and producer details
- Key crew and cast details
- Production details
The Ghana Film and Television Crew Awards will consist of an Academy members consisting of celebrated professionals from the various disciplines within the film industry in Ghana to nominate, and subsequently award deserving winners.
- All Academy members will belong to a particular branch of interest. E.g. Actors will nominate and vote for colleague’s actors, likewise film editors and directors will also do same.
- All Academy Members will vote collectively on only the Overall Best Film Crew.
- Vote on all achievements shall be restricted to active Academy members.
- Vote for nominations and awards shall be by secret ballot. Ballots shall be made available by the Academy, and completed ballots shall be received and tabulated by the official event statistician.
- The organizers shall provide for such screenings or special meetings as may be desirable to ensure full and fair consideration of the merits of all eligible awards..
- Each branch shall be permitted to formulate its own special rules. Nominations and final voting in each branch will be restricted to active members.
SELECTION AND NOMINATION COMMITTEE
- The selection and nomination committee shall be selected from the Academy
- The Members of the selection committee shall be kept secret to forestall lobbying and all forms of malpractices.
- Any member of the committee who reveals his/her status in the selection and nomination committee shall be relieved of the position if there is empirical evidence to support allegation.
Special Rules for FICAG Actor/Actress Award.
- A list of acting nominations shall be made available to the Acting branch by the selection committee.
- Acting branch of the academy shall include FICAG members, other Film Crew and other highly placed personalities within the acting fraternity.
- The Acting Branch will vote for actors. The decision as to whether or not an actor/actress should be nominated should be decided by the branch members during balloting.
- Final voting will be limited to only active and life members of the Acting branch.
Special Rules for the Costume Design Award
- A list of best costume design nominations shall be made available to the Costume Design branch by the selection and nomination committee. Films with the various nominees shall be screened for Costume design Branch to make final judgments based on merit.
- A List of all best costume design nominations shall be made available to all members of the Costume Designers Branch, who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five motion pictures.
- To be eligible for the Costume Design award, the costumes for the picture must have been conceived by a costume designer. It is the intention of this rule to recognize the designing of costumes for their special use in motion pictures.
- Final voting for the Costume Design award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.
Special Rules for the best Director Award
- A list of the directing award nominations shall be made available to the directing award branch of the Academy by the selection and nomination committee. Movies with the various nominees shall be screened for Branch members to make final judgments based on merit.
- Final voting for the best Director award shall be restricted to active Academy members
Special Rules for the Film Editing Award
- A list of the film editing award nominations shall be made available to the film-editing Branch of the Academy, by the selection and nomination committee. Movies with the various nominees shall be screened for Branch members to make final judgments Based on merit.
- Final voting for the Film Editing award shall be restricted to active Academy Members.
Special Rules for the Visual Effects Award
- The selection and nomination committee shall make available to the visual effects branch, the various nominees for the Visual effects category. Movies with the nominees shall be screened for the branch members to make final judgments based on merit.
- The Visual Effects Branch shall consider the following points:
- Consideration of the contribution the visual effects make to the overall production and
- The artistry, skill and fidelity with which the visual illusions are achieved.
- Final voting for the visual effects award shall be restricted to active Academy Members.
Special Rules for the Cinematography Award
- The selection and nomination committee shall make available to the cinematography award branch of the Academy, the various nominees for the cinematography category. Movies with the nominees shall be screened for the branch members to make final judgments based on merit.
- Final voting for the Cinematography award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.
- Special Rules for the Documentary Awards – Feature
Special Rules for the Makeup and Hairstyling Award
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Best cinematography is awarded to a cinematographer for work in one particular movie. Cinematographer is the individual who photographed with a motion picture camera and is responsible for achieving artistic and technical decisions related to the images in the movie. The winner for best cinematography is the movie with the most outstanding photography, the most effective use of light, appropriate and relevant camera shots etc.
The award for best costume design is given out for the best achievement of film costume design for a particular movie. Costumes must be appropriate for the settings, roles, characters and theme of the movie. Films, which are eligible for the award, must meet a series of criteria, including the requirement that the costumes must have been “conceived by a costume designer, and/or with supporting wardrobe selected from other sources.
The award for best Art Direction recognizes achievement in production design and/or set the decoration. Production design must be appropriate and functional for the setting of the movie.
The award for achievement in directing (Best Director) is to the director of the movie that reflects the most outstanding technical and artistic performance; showing creative and coherent ways to tell the story with pictures, sounds etc. who’s working in the motion picture industry. Only one individual may claim screen credit as a films director. This rule is deigned to prevent rights and ownership issues and to eliminate lobbying for director credit by producers and actors. However, the jury may create an exception to this “one director per film” rule if two co-directors seeking to share director credit for a film qualify as an “established duo”.
The award for film editing is given to the editor of the movie with the best use of scenes and effects to tell a flowery and coherent story. Only the principal, “above the line” editor(s) as listed in the film’s credits are named on the award; additional editors, supervising editors, etc. are not generally eligible.
Make-up and hairstyling
The award for best make-up and hairstyling is given to the best achievement in make-up and hairstyling for a film. Make-up and hairstyling must enhance physical attributes of characters and must be appropriate for scenes, setting and overall feel of the movie.
The award for original score is presented to the best substantial body of music in the form of dramatic underscoring written specifically for the film by the submitting composer.
The award for best original song is presented to the song writes who have composed the best original song written specifically for a movie or adapted for the movie. The performance of the song are not credited with the award unless they contributed either to music lyrics or both in the own rights.
The award for best sound editing is granted to a film exhibiting the finest or most aesthetic sound editing or sound design. The award geos to the movie that showed the best interaction between sounds, effects in its appropriateness for scenes and the overall story. The award goes to the person in charge of working and mixing the sound in the studio, including sound effects, sound collected from locations or set among others.
The award for best visual effects is given to the movie that exhibited the most creative and believable visual effects. The award is based on consideration of the contribution the visual effects make to the overall production and the artistry, skill and fidelity with which the visual illusions are achieved.
The award fro writing adapted screenplay or original screenplay is given to the movie with the best story, best interplay and linking of scenes and overall narration of story. It is
awarded to the writer of a screenplay adapted from another source (usually a novel, play, short story or TV show but also sometimes another film); or for the best script not based upon previously published material. All sequels are automatically considered adaptations by this standard since the sequel must be based on the original story.
Terms and Conditions
I have read the above Ghana Film and Television Awards (GFTCA) 2021 “Rules for Entry” and will comply with them. I warrant the submission of my original work and there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission. I also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and I fully indemnify the organizers of their affiliates, families, sponsors and all associates any claim made for such violation of law.
To the best of my knowledge, all of the statements herein are true and correct. I understand that failure to adhere to the awards rules will result in disqualification.
GFTC Awards reserves the right to use a clip and/or clips from accepted entries, up to five minutes in length for publicity purposes. I agree to hold the Ghana Film and Television Awards organizers or their affiliates, families, sponsors and all associates harmless from and defend them against all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities and expenses (including legal fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims by third parties, whether or not groundless; based on any film submitted by myself to the awards